Pateros Catholic School is a non-stock, non-profit co-educational sectarian school established in Pateros, M.M. then a part of Rizal Province. It was founded on June 1, 1951 by then Rev. Msgr. Felix G. Sicat. Initially, the name Pateros Catholic High School was adopted because it offered mainly secondary courses with vocational subjects. A small school with four classrooms for two freshmen and two sophomore classes with 98 students started its operation. Thereafter it steadily increased by one level every year until the high school level was completed.
In accordance with Philippine laws, the school was incorporated with the Securities and Exchange Commission on August 4, 1954 with Registry Number 9011. The school was officially recognized as a learning institution with the issuance of Order No. 180 of Republic Act No. 24 on June 1, 1955. The opening of the Grade School Department in 1961 paved the way for the school’s change of name to Pateros Catholic School through the initiative of Mrs. Remedios Licsi Cruz, high school principal at that time. Pursuant to the provisions of Section 16 of the Corporation Code of the Philippines, Batas Pambansa Bilang 68, the Articles of Incorporation were amended and a new set of By-Laws was adopted on September 4, 1980 and filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 21, 1983. The transcript of these amended articles and new By-Laws of Incorporation was issued on April 25, 1983.
Pateros Catholic School, better known as PCS, has been under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Manila. It remains a member of the Manila Archdiocesan and Parochial Schools Association (MAPSA) and the Catholic Educational Association of the Philippines (CEAP). Presently, the institution operates under the newly created Diocese of Pasig and is consequently an active member of the Pasig Diocesan Schools System (PaDSS). Now on its 70 years of existence, PCS saw the succession of directors and principals:
Rev. Msgr. Felix G. Sicat became the first director who managed the school from 1951 – 1957. Rev. Msgr. Simeon M. Ginete, came after Msgr. Sicat from 1957 – 1975. Under his administration, a concrete two-storey building for the high school, together with a wooden two-storey building for the grade school was constructed. Pateros Catholic School became a byword in the community and its surrounding areas.
In 1962 – 1963, due to the pressures made about by the increasing workloads, Msgr. Ginete appointed Rev. Fr. Antonio S. Pascual as school director. After a year, however, he assumed work. From 1975 – 1976, Rev. Msgr. Danilo J. Pascual was assigned director to replace Msgr. Ginete.
From 1976 – 1987, Rev. Msgr. Dalmacio G. Eusebio, Jr. constructed a concrete three-storey extension of San Roque building for the high school, concrete three-storey San Lorenzo building for the grade school and the clinic for the PCS populace. For the high school music-lovers, he organized the Marimba. Mrs. Luzona Oliva, a grade school teacher and the Coop Store Coordinator, sought the help of Mr. Melchor A. David, an alumni who changed and improved the school seal design which the school is now using.
In 1987 – 1990, Rev. Fr. Alex B. Yap came next as parish priest and director. He instigated changes with the Restoration and Improvement Committee of the church.
In 1990 -1995, Rev. Msgr. Manuel F. Sebastian constructed St. Therese, St. Pedro Calungsod buildings, and the operation of the school canteen. He was instrumental in the upgrading of PCS personnel salaries and benefits such as: retirement pay, gratuity pay, and summer pay for new teachers. Through his initiative the first PCS Alumni Association was organized.
In 1995 – 1997, Rev. Fr. Romerico A. Prieto introduced the Parish Renewal Experience (PREX) formation to all the PCS employees and introduced the Planning Session of Middle Level Supervisors.
In 1997 -2001, under Rev. Msgr. Rolando R. Dela Cruz preparation for the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) Accreditation took center stage. Along with it came the creation of the Director’s Council, the formulation of the school’s Vision/Mission, the categorization/separation of the teaching and non-teaching personnel, and acquisition of the legal personality of the PCS Multi-Purpose Cooperative. In solidarity with the smaller schools, he initiated the twinning/affiliation of Napindan Catholic School and Tipas Catholic School.
From 2001 – 2003, Rev. Msgr. Gerardo O. Santos started the Adult Night High School Program to cater to the needs of the poor members of the community and pursued the teachers’ participation in Voluntary Catechism to public schools located within the parish. The refinement and revision of the Vision/Mission also became the focal point of his administration. The construction of the Seat of Wisdom Audio Visual Room also materialized.
Under Rev. Fr. Von Jose R. Vargas, 2003 - 2007 space audit paved the way for the maximum utilization of available spaces, Azotea de Teresita became a vista of coolness. New policies and guidelines were enforced through the Faculty, Non-Teaching and Administrative Manuals. PCS tied up with the Munting Sambayanang Kristiyano (MSK) program of the parish by adopting one community in Sta. Ana Kaliwa. While the high school department was preparing for the PAASCU Preliminary Survey, the grade school department achieved the approval of the preliminary visit.
Rev. Fr. Orlando B. Cantillon, 2007 -2010 was a milestone for PCS, the formal PAASCU Accreditation Level 1 for grade school department was granted while the high school department was granted the approval for the preliminary visit. Acquisition of lot along P. Herrera St. materialized and the creation of the Bishop Francisco C. San Diego Scholarship Program, an equity scholarship program granted to financially disadvantaged but intellectually deserving students.
2010 – 2016, under Rev. Fr. Roy M. Rosales, marked the 60th Founding Anniversary or the Emerald Year of the school with the theme “Pasasalamat, Pagbabalik-tanaw at Pagharap sa Taong Darating” with the slogan “Arriba 60”. Fr. Roy is also instrumental of the school’s new façade to commemorate the school’s Emerald Jubilee, giving the school a look of modernization. The bricks of the façade symbolize the sturdiness of the quality of formation the school offers, the discipline that goes with it and an aura of excellence which is truly the mark of Pateros Catholic School.
School year 2016 to 2021, Rev. Fr. Orlindo F. Ordoña saw to the implementation and completion of the seven-storey building construction of PCS Annex, which is now on its full utilization offering six tracks for the Senior High School. Provisions for improvement of the Annex facilities were constructed, installed and operational.
2021 up to the present, Rev. Fr. Edgardo B. Barrameda serves as the school director under the New Normal set up.
Pateros Catholic School presently runs under the leadership of the Most Reverend Mylo Hubert Claudio Vergara, bishop of Pasig diocese. The parishes of Taguig, Pateros, and Pasig constitute the organizational memberships of the Diocese of Pasig. All major policies and decisions governing the institution are coursed through the Board of Trustees vested with the responsibility of establishing and ensuring that the goals and objectives are implemented accordingly.
Together with Rev. Fr. Edgardo B. Barrameda, as the chief executive officer of the entire educational institution delegated with the administrative operation of the school, is the Director’s Council who represents the key administrators and decision-makers of the school. Through proper sectoral consultation, the council exercises official jurisdiction over important policy pronouncements on vital issues affecting the institution.
After more than seven decades of committed service to Catholic education, PCS has gone through a series of remarkable changes in terms of structural and instructional innovations, keeping abreast with the challenges of a fast changing milieu. The school has continuously improved its physical plant and facilities and maintained its standard of excellence through the years. It has served the local church, the community of Pateros and the surrounding areas.
Truly, PCS continues to pursue its goals to produce graduates who will be Catholic leaders who are integrally formed with moral conscience, mature in faith, balanced by disciplined pursuit of academic excellence. It has remained faithful to its commitment to serve the educational needs of learners from the areas of Pateros, Pasig, Taguig, and Makati City, inspired by the gospel of truth and excellence, grounded on the ideals and charisms set by our two patron saints: San Roque and Sta. Marta and motivated by a strong desire to deepen and to root our commitment in the integral formation of “MEN AND WOMEN OF NOBLE CHARACTER.